Today was one of the scariest, I mean, worst days of my life. Honestly, I can only recall 2, possibly 3, days that could come close. Up until 5:30ish pm, it was a typical Friday. In fact, it may have been a little better than the usual Friday. We were getting ready to go to an early dinner, and I was so looking forward to that mango margarita. Until...wait, before I go any further, let me just say that we are all okay!
I can't even remember what I was doing when out of the corner of my eye, I saw our huge 6 1/2 foot mirror in our bedroom falling forward. (Why the hell I even have a stupid 6 1/2 foot mirror, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure I didn't think it was stupid until today). I was across the room and all I could do was scream. It was as if things were happing in slow motion. The stupid mirror came crashing down on my baby's head (I think), shattering into a million pieces, seriously. Donnie pulled the enormous mirror off of Emily as I waited for her to wail. (Donnie later told me that he was expecting to see shards of glass sticking her and blood everywhere. I have to admit, I was expecting blood, too). Emily did not disappoint. She cried and cried and cried and cried. No blood that I could see. Thank God. But it was one of those things that at first glance seemed okay, but the more I examined her and the more time that passed, the worse things got.
I held Emily carefully, trying not to put pressure where I thought the glass was...which was everywhere, her hair, forehead, cheeks, ears, creases in her neck, arms, back, legs, everywhere. I tilted her head and face back and tried to brush off as much glass as possible; the pieces were so tiny. After getting everything I could see off, I put her in the tub to rinse her off. She barely stopped crying. Understandably so. D and I dried her hair in an effort to get any remaining pieces of glass out. Things were looking better. She had just a few tiny scratches on her arm and one on her lower back.
But then things got worse. I laid her down to put on her diaper and rub lotion on her. That's when I saw the pool of blood in her ear. OMG! I screamed and my voice shook and I was yelling at Donnie to hold her still and Donnie was yelling at me. Luckily, as if this is even lucky at all, it was a small piece of glass that stuck her (in her ear) and I easily removed it with tweezers. She did not like me cleaning out her ear though. And as if it couldn't get any worse, I then noticed her other ear, which was sooo red and had a knot behind it. She must have hit the corner of the night stand when the mirror fell on her. My poor baby.
I held her tight and went downstairs for, what else, M&Ms and some ice for that bump. She whimpered softly in my arms, on my lap, even when I gave her M&Ms. She was definitely not my Emily. She was limp, silent, and too still. She kept trying to close her eyes and go to sleep. I all but lost it at this point and was ready to rush her to the ER. Until...I swallowed my pride and called Grumpy, who is an ER doctor (and a retired surgeon). Any fear of my mother yelling at me for being irresponsible disappeared and with a shaken voice, I asked my father to come over. He was here in about 3 minutes, literally.
So about 30 minutes had passed and it was only when Granny and Grumpy arrived that my Emily was back! Grumpy checked her out and gave us a good report. And then he said, "God was watching over Emily." I knew that nothing else could explain the miracle that left our baby nearly unharmed. (I, on the other hand, was a wreck).
Tonight, as I held Em while she slept, I cried my first tears of the day. I will have so many praises tonight. I will thank God for watching over our precious baby girl, and I will know that He heard me. Those words- Thank God- are all I can think of tonight.
(In case you are wondering, no, there will be no pictures in this already too-long post. I can't possibly look at that damn mirror even once more).
12 years ago
6 comments:
Yes, thank you god.
So glad baby Emily is okay! What a scary story. Sounds like you and Donnie handled it great though.
OMG, that sounds so scary. I am amazed that you held yourself together, didn't panic, and took care of everything. So glad to hear that Emily is ok!!
Glad Emily is okay! I would have been to freaked out to remove the small pieces of glass.
you give me too much credit. i was a big ole mess...i just left that part out of the story :o)
WOW. wow. Yes, thank God she is ok. xo
Post a Comment