Thursday, January 29, 2009

That time of year already? Yuck.

Boo. I really, really hate that schools are so darn organized here in the city. I mean really, what new mom is going to be excited about enrolling her (sheltered) baby in Kids Day Out (or Little Lukes or whatever else they call school)? Not me. Seriously, hearing that I need to have Emily enrolled in a pre-K program now, to ensure that she gets into the right Kindergarten, is crazy. Because, you know, all the good schools already have waiting lists for the class of 2026.

That aside, I still am not eagar to send Emily to KDO (a completely separate thing from pre-k 3 or 4). Now, I can totally understand the argument that KDO is good for babies because they get to solialize and what not. But people. My daughter, who has been home with family and a nanny since she was just 7 1/2 weeks old is plenty socialized. She's not some clingy, annoying, have-you-ever-left-your-mommy's-hip baby. She's a fun, loving, playful, sweet, social butterfly. So I just don't understand what "benefit" it would be for her to go to KDO.

On the other hand, benefits of her staying right where she is include a healthier baby without a constant runny nose; fun with Granny, Miss Candy, and her cousins; learning 2 foreign languages (hopefully); more one-on-one attention (or 1 on 2); and lastly, peace of mind for Mommy.

And since I'm getting better at seeing that not everything is about me, I wonder again if the only reason I don't want to enroll her in KDO is because I just want her at home...where she is loved, hugged, and kissed all day. Truly, I just want to do what is best for her (even if that means sending her to KDO before I'm ready for her to go). Maybe I can go back to Dr. Cook in hopes that he'll tell me that he really doesn't recommend sending children to any program/school until they are THREE! (That's the age that I've mentally prepared myself for).

1 comment:

Christine said...

your tracker thing really freaks me out... new york visited blah blah blah.....