Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy Birthday, Emily Kate!

Dear Emily,

It's hard to believe you are already two. You are such a sweet, beautiful, kind little girl. I often wonder how you could be mine. You have brought such happiness to everyone around you, especially to your daddy and me. I am certain that I have many more smile/laugh lines because of you!

I always say that I wish time would stand still for just a little while so you don't grow up so fast. But I really love watching you become such a big girl.

  • You are talking nonstop these days, and I can tell you get frustrated when I don't understand what you are telling me.
  • You will count to 10 in English and Spanish without my help.
  • You can sing Happy Birthday all by yourself, too.
  • You also like "You are my Sunshine," and will give me a big hug when you say, "You'll never know dear, how much I love you." You are so sweet.
  • Your memory is getting so good. You are able to tell us what you did earlier in the day, or even week.
  • You definitely got my Type A personality. You always put your toys back neatly and pick things up if they fall down as you walk past them.
  • You love school so much. Daddy takes you to Starbucks each morning before school. Then once you get to the parking lot at church, you cannot wait to start looking for acorns. You will either hold onto an acorn all day in your little palm or you will put it in your pocket for later.
  • You still love wearing sunglasses, just like Daddy.
  • You're growing into a size 2T (toddler clothes, boo!) and wear a size 7 shoe and size 4 diaper. You love new shoes, just like your Mommy.
  • You like to do things by yourself these days, like walking up and down the stairs, holding onto 5 things at once, taking off your jacket, and eating soup.
  • You're finally looking more like Mommy, or so people say.
  • You LOVE candy. M&Ms are no longer memes; they are now em-em's. You like to go through Mommy's purse each evening and look for "Emy's mimps." (Or mint). Then you run to the kitchen in search of a bowl, because that's what you always eat your mints out of.
  • Granny (aka Ba) teaches you a lot of funny Vietnamese sayings, and you actually use them.
  • You also say several words in Spanish. Things are always sucio and basura, rarely dirty or trash.
  • You really like playing with your baby dolls. You change their diapers and clothes, and rock them to bed.
  • Your favorite color is still purple. And about twice a week, you will refuse to wear any color bow except purple. This means you don't match at least twice a week. You see, I've already learned to pick my battles. This is one that you usually win.
  • You will put your tiny hand on my leg and tell me, "Mommy, be careful. Be careful," when you see me climbing onto something or standing on a chair. (I am short so I have to stand on chairs a lot. Chances are you will be, too, despite your big feet!).
  • You have lots of favorite sayings, including "My go potty. My hands so dirty. Me wash them. All clean!" You also enjoy telling Daddy to go away at bedtime.
  • You know you're 2, and that means "no more chee choo." Sometimes you'll say "only Daddy has chee choo." But that doesn't stop you from still wanting one.
  • Your new favorite people in the world are Reese and Harper. I can convince you to do most anything by telling you that Reese and Harper do the same thing.
  • Seems like you now need a horse. Ask your Auntie Lee Lee.
  • You know the difference between girls and boys. And you correctly use he/she and him/her. So smart!

So, happy 2nd birthday to my sweet girl. I have loved the last 2 years, but know that I still have so much more to look forward to. I love being your Mommy. It is, by far, my most favorite thing in the whole world.

Love you so, so much,

Mommy

Pictures from Em's cookies & milk party are coming soon!

3 comments:

Christine said...

happy birthday sweet baby!

Rachel said...

That is the SWEETEST post! Made me teary. Hope Emily had a fabulous birthday!

Jennifer said...

You think she is finally starting to look like you? I've always thought she was your spitting image!